Type: Short Courses
Duration: Eight days
This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
The gym environment is lively, diverse and challenging but most of all, fun! You will have the opportunity to improve clients’ overall well-being, enhance their fitness levels, improve their confidence and help them train for specific sports or events. You will be designing tailored gym programmes, encouraging gym users to train effectively and ensuring that they work out safely.
You will be taught by a highly qualified tutor at Bishop Burton College and receive all the guidance and support needed to pass the course.
The next course starts on 12 January 2019.
What You Study
As part of this course, you will study:
- The heart and circulatory system
- The respiratory system
- Structure and function of the skeleton
- Musculoskeletal system
- Postural and core stability
- The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
In order to complete this programme, you must:
- Be over 16 years of age
- Have experience in the gym environment, using cardiovascular equipment, fixed and free weights
- Have a good standard of fitness.
This programme takes place over three weekends.
The course will commence on the weekend of 12 and 13 January 2019 and will continue on the following weekends:
- 19 and 20 January
- 2 and 3 February
- 9 and 10 February
- 23 and 24 February.
This course costs £450.
ALL payments must be paid before the start of the course, payable by close of play 5 January at the latest.
You will not be able to participate in the course unless your fees are paid in full by the 5 January
Please note that if there are insufficient bookings for this course to make it viable, then it will be cancelled (any amounts paid will be refunded if we cancel the course).
How To Apply
If you’re interested in taking part, contact Ben Atkinson by calling 01964 553155 or emailing Ben.Atkinson@bishopburton.ac.uk.